I don’t know if I mentioned I was working on these. I started them last month when I realized Miss 7 going on 20 needed some new ones. I set them aside because I needed her to try them on to see if they were long enough and then I promptly forgot about them until this weekend. The temperature had dropped and she needed something. I finished them over the weekend.
Pattern: Mitered Mittens form Zimmerman’s Knitter’s Almanac.
Yarn: Noro Kureyon
Changes: There weren’t really many changes to the original idea. Though I did have to make changes because of the size. I cast on about 12 less stitches to start with, then every 2nd patterning row I decreased 4 sts for 3 times total. Then I started to increase 4sts every 2nd even row for a total of 3 times. This made the cuff cinch in at the wrist and helped keep me occupied enough to have a long cuff. I like this idea and might do it more on future mittens. It makes them really snug (better than ribbing)
Other than that I followed the pattern as it was written. I even chose to do the thumb as she described by cutting and letting it unravel the right amount. It worked well with this sticky yarn but might not be as good on a slippery yarn. Though I probably wouldn’t be making mittens using a slippery yarn. My girls are tough and are ok with a slightly less soft wool just so long as it looks good.
I want a pair of these now. But first I need to make a new winter bonnet for the Boogie Baby.